Sometimes it’s nice to have a simple dinner. We all have those days when we get home from work and just want to put our feet up and do nothing. Come on, we’ve all been there. As much as I am a firm believer in making time for home cooked food, no one wants to get back from a long day and stand cooking for hours every night. Therefore I present to you the fuss free, no mess, simple as… Epic Chicken Traybake!
The great thing about this traybake recipe, and all traybake recipes in fact, is that you throw everything in a baking tray and just pop it in that oven until it’s cooked. Easy! One thing you shouldn’t do though is underestimate the taste of this simple dish. Easy food does NOT mean boring food. Just because a dish is simple, does not make it any less tasty. In fact this dish is so full of flavour that you’ll probably be making a traybake every night from now on.
Time and time again people tell me they can’t cook and that they find cooking way too stressful. Well I’m telling you that anyone can cook, and if you do find the idea of cooking daunting then why not start with a simple recipe like this?
4 chicken legs, skin scored
3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks and parboiled
300g butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
1 red onion, cut into wedges
6 garlic cloves, 2 finely chopped and 4 kept in their skins
2 sprigs of rosemary, 1 roughly chopped
100g pancetta, diced
50g unsalted butter, softened
Half a teaspoon of chilli flakes
Salt and fresh black pepper
Serve with warm ciabatta bread
- Firstly, preheat oven to gas mark 6/200C or 180C for fan assisted ovens. While the oven is heating mix your softened unsalted butter in a bowl with your two finely chopped garlic cloves, roughly chopped rosemary, chilli flakes and a couple of pinches of salt.
- Once all combined, rub your garlic butter over the four chicken legs making sure they are well coated and that some of the butter is pushed into the scores and under the skin. Set to one side.
- Next get a large baking tray and throw in all the ingredients apart from the pancetta. Drizzle in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and a couple of pinches of salt and mix well. Lay the 4 chicken legs, skin side up, over the veg and then pop into the middle of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the diced pancetta on top. Place back into the oven for a further 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Grind on some fresh black pepper and serve in the tray with some warm ciabatta on the side for moping up the juices. Hello stress free dinner!