For a few weeks now I’ve been wondering what on earth to post on my blog for Valentine’s Day. I’ve been seeing all sorts of fancy dishes popping up all over my Twitter and Instagram news feeds making me panic a little. At this rate perhaps I will have to make a seven tier wedding cake in order to stand out, I thought to myself. Luckily I quickly dismissed this idea, but I was still left with the dilemma of what I should make…
It wasn’t until last week when I randomly decided to make shortbread biscuits that I finally had a brainwave. Shortbread, especially lemon shortbread has always been a favourite biscuit of mine. In fact, I think I would go as far to say that I actually LOVE lemon shortbread. Well this for me sealed the deal. For a long time I have been trying too hard to please others. Cooking dishes that I think others will love and therefore neglecting the food that I love the most. In some ways we can kind of look at food a bit like a relationship, without love and passion, well, it’s just a bit rubbish isn’t it?
Therefore, with Valentine’s Day just around the corner I thought it was only right to give to you a recipe that I truly love… Lemon Kisses xxx
(Makes around 18-20 hearts)
80g salted butter, softened
40g golden caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
150g plain flour, plus extra for rolling
3 heaped teaspoons of good quality lemon curd
Half a teaspoon of lemon zest
You will also need cling-film, a rolling pin and a heart shaped cookie cutter!
- Preheat oven to gas mark 2/150C or 130C for fan assisted ovens.
- In a large bowl cream together the softened butter and golden caster sugar until light and fluffy. Next, mix in the lemon zest and lemon curd until well combined.
- Sift the flour into the bowl and mix well. Work with your hands to form a soft dough and then wrap in cling-film and put into the fridge for around 15-20 minutes.
- After the dough has rested in the fridge take it out, unwrap and begin to roll out on a lightly dusted surface. Roll the dough until it reaches the thickness of a £1 coin and then using your heart cutter, cut your shortbread.
- Place your heart shortbreads onto a large greased and lined baking tray, and then with a fork prick lots of little holes through your dough. Sprinkle with a generous amount of golden caster sugar and then bake in the centre of your preheated oven for around 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes on the tray and then carefully transfer your shortbreads to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Great for a Valentine’s Day gift for someone special or just as a general treat!