Now, I’ve never had the problem of having chocolate leftover from Easter, but I have heard that it is actually a thing. Apparently some people look for alternative ways of using up their leftover eggs rather than just eating them normally. It all seems very strange to me, but nevertheless I thought I’d join in and get a little more inventive with my chocolate this Easter time.
Now if you’ve never tempered chocolate before, now is your time to try. It is a little time-consuming, I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t, but it’s totally worth it for the finish you get on the chocolate. Enjoy 🙂
300g good quality milk chocolate
2 crunchie bars, smashed to pieces
90g mini eggs, smashed to pieces
You will need a thermometer for tempering the chocolate.
- Begin by lining a a 23cm x 23cm baking tin with baking paper and set to one side for later.
- Chop up three quarters of your chocolate and place into a large heatproof bowl. Finely chop the remaining quarter and set to one side for later.
- Half fill a saucepan with hot water, and put the bowl on top, making sure that it does not touch the bottom of the saucepan. Slowly heat the water, but make sure it doesn’t reach boil.
- Stir until the chocolate has completely melted and has reached 45C- 50C (113F-122F). Set aside one-third of the melted chocolate in a bowl, in a warm place and then add the finely chopped chocolate to the other two thirds.
- Mix continuously until the chocolate reaches 27C-28C (81F-82F). At this point you will want to add in the melted chocolate that you have set aside to increase the temperature back to 29C-30C. Your chocolate is now tempered and ready to use.
- Pour the chocolate into the lined baking tin and moved around to ensure it is evenly spread. Scatter on top as much of your crushed crunchie bits and mini eggs as you like and push down slightly to make sure they stick to the melted chocolate. Put in a cool place and leave to set for 1-2 hours.
- *DO NOT PUT IN FRIDGE TO SET*
- Once completely set, carefully tip the bark out of your baking tray, snap into shards and get stuck in!